Special Education Needs

   Special Educational Needs - SEN


     What are Special Educational Needs?

     Educational Assessments for Children attending school

     ICT enabling access to the curriculum

     How ICT can help learners with particular difficulties

     Pre-school children with special educational needs

     What can you do if your child has a learning difficulty at school?



What are Special Educational Needs?

Special Educational Needs (SEN) has a legal definition. Children with SEN have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age. These children may need extra or different help from that given to other children of the same age.

The SEN children who have a considerably greater difficulty in learning than others the same age. It also includes children who cannot use the educational facilities which other children of a similar age use because of their disability.

As many as one in five children may at some time need extra help with their education and they are said to have 'Special Educational Needs'.

There are varying levels of Special Needs, including a small number of children who have severe problems in learning and who need to have special kinds of help over several years. These children are likely to have a written description of their needs and what is to be done for them.

Educational Assessments for Children attending school

Some children will have had their special educational needs identified before attending school for others this is not the case. If you as a parent have concerns about your child you can express them and ask for an informal assessment. The levels for a formal assessment are similar to a child attending an early years setting.

- School Action - This is the level at which a teacher or a child with SEN who needs additional or different support to that given as part of the usual curriculum. Parents should be informed and consulted at this level and in regard to any further action.

- School Action Plus - This results in the request for help from outside services or specialist help to meet a child's needs. This should be done after a meeting with parents

- Request for a Statutory Assessment - Where it is felt the child still has extra needs which cannot be met by the actions of previous levels, the school may ask for a statutory assessment of the child.

ICT enabling access to the curriculum

In this area you will find practical examples of using ICT to assist with the teaching of students with special needs,

1- Help in identifying the most appropriate technologies for addressing individual needs, and suggestions on how these might be managed in school.

2- Practical experiences of using low-tech aids and ICT to support access to the curriculum for pupils with physical and/or learning difficulties, focusing on pupils from nursery and those who are developmentally young. Also included is a series of templates designed to help you to create an inventory of your software.

How ICT can help learners with particular difficulties

Maintaining an overview of developments in access technology for all areas of special educational needs requires not only an understanding of ICT but also an awareness of the needs of learners with different disabilities. This aims to identify key areas in which ICT can help particular learners .

Pre-school children with special educational needs

If you think your child is slow in developing or is not hearing or seeing properly speak to your nursery or play group leader, health visitor, your family doctor or someone at your local Child and Family Consultation Centre. It is important to get help as soon as possible.

What can you do if your child has a learning difficulty at school?

If you are concerned about your child you should talk to the class teacher. There will be a teacher at your child's school who has a special responsibility for children with special educational needs. The school will tell you the name of that teacher.
All ordinary schools provide special help for children with special educational needs.

You are an active partner with your child's school. The school should tell you about your child's progress, listen to your concerns and work with you to make sure that your child gets a proper education.

When your child starts school, or moves to a new school, you should tell his or her teacher about all the special help that has previously been provided by other schools, or by health or social services

For more information: http://www.surreycc.gov.uk


Links for Learning Disability